Thursday, November 17, 2011

Slowly Transforming

The "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" swim has started to look more and more like a real stroke. At the start of this project I was at a 1:43 per 100yd time - after session one of fine tuning the stroke, I dropped to 1:31. After today, day 2 of the transformation, I hit 1:24. I know I won't be able to continue this progress but it's fun to see the changes happening... key points from today:

1) On the catch - after entry, catch the water first with hand in painting the water position. Bend at elbow, keeping elbow high and pulling slightly in front of chest for power. Don't reach down to stabilize, this just weakens the power and makes breathing difficult.

2) Goggle drill - one eye should come out of the water. Don't be afraid to take some water, maybe even keep mouth open the whole time.

3) Breathing timing - I'm still breathing too late. Let the power stroke stabilize and help rotate the shoulder to initiate the breath better.

4) Kicking - got to get the kick higher on the surface. Some bend in the legs, flexible feet and heel all the way out of the water. NOT from the hips and stiff like I've been doing...

5K testing tomorrow to set the times for the start of the 18 week run portion of the winter program. Sleep fast before 6am comes...

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see the swim is coming along....sleep fast and always grinding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what the heck you're talking about, but I'm guessing you can give me pointers when I eventually brave the pool and start swimming! It feels too cold to swim.....I'm a wimp!

    ReplyDelete