Monday, January 30, 2012

Slow Climb

It's been a rough 4 day stretch here and I'm not sure where to begin...

Saturday, January 28th, a good friend and long time ActivEdge athlete/employee, Lauren Hubbard's little brother (also an ActivEdge alum), died in a tragic accident in the afternoon. I don't really want to discuss the details because people start to form their own opinions in situations like these, but Blake was a sweet boy with plenty of life left. Those who will read the news reports or have seen the story on TV need to know that Blake was fun, caring, and loving 14 year old son and sibling. Not known at all for taking risks and usually a very conservative in nature person, I can only hope that those who really know him will remember these things.

Sunday, the pastor at our church, Steve Breedlove, covered Blake's death in the sermon and moved the whole congregation to tears. Another long time church goer, Patrick Kelly, died the same day as Blake and so between the two of those individuals, it was a tough service to get through. I was ushering that day and needed to leave the sanctuary several times because I was crying so hard.

On top of that, I was getting sick, really sick. I had to go to Duke Urgent Care and they suggested sinus surgery and referred my out to an ENT surgeon. In high school, I broke my nose playing basketball and this caused a deviated septum. I have only been able to breathe out of one nostril since then but have managed to do just fine and didn't really notice it until my running and triathlons picked up these last couple of years. Unfortunately, when viruses get caught in the nasal cavity that does not drain like the other side, it becomes very difficult for me to shake the illness and I get even more sick than a normal person would with the same virus. The kids have been bringing more and more viruses back from school and play groups and for this reason it seems I have been constantly sick for the past 2 months. Time to get that fixed. I am trying to get the surgery scheduled immediately since there will be no activity after for 2-3 weeks. I will most likely miss the Tobacco Road half marathon but should be able to rebound for tri season and the Beaverdam opener. I was looking forward to going 1:35ish and was feeling great on my running... oh well, next year.

Today, Lauren came in to help take her mind off things and Charlie and I lifted with her. It was about all I could do though and felt terrible the whole time. I went home immediately after and got back into bed. Lauren is such a strong young lady and I will continue to pray and support her the best I can. Meredith and I plan on attending the services tomorrow, even though it looks like I'll still be home sick for the morning at least...uggghh. Let's begin the slow climb out...

WOD:

4 sets of incline DB press x 6
3 sets of SA cable rows seated x 10 each arm
3 sets of BOSU oblique abs x 12 each side

4 sets of hanging cleans x 6
3 sets of dips on the machine
3 sets of hammer curls x 8 each side
3 sets of DB split press x 4 each side
3 sets of DB raises 7,7,7

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a rough week! Sorry I missed you at the service, Brie was Blake's classmate so we have also felt the loss. Been a truly tough weekend and week so far.

    I hope you begin to feel better quickly and get the medical attention you need.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete