Friday, February 24, 2012

Finding My Mojo

It's been nearly 4 weeks now since I first got sick and needed to take some time off. After 7 days of high-powered anti-biotics starting with an IV dose in the Duke ER after the right lung collapsed, the pneumonia came back, and they placed me on 10 more days of Avelox. I've been off it now for 2 days and am hoping and praying that it's gone for now.

The biggest hit that I've taken in the last several weeks is I lost my mojo. I'm still able to lift weights and get somewhat of a workout in but I haven't done any cardio in almost 28 days. I used to think I was invincible (as my last post indicated), and now I'm terrified that it's going to come back. I feel like my time on earth may be shorter than I originally expected and I wake up often at night with anxiety and cold sweats. My mind is weakened and I feel vulnerable.

Today, was a good step in the right direction... I had a full day of listening to presenters talk about strength training, cycling, and running for triathletes. In a room full of fit people trying to get their certification to be a USA Triathlon coach I started to get excited again about training. I headed straight to the hotel gym at The Westin in Uptown Charlotte and got a few sets of exercises per below:

4 sets of the following

NG arched pull-ups with added weight (30lb DB) x 10
SA DB incline press at 50lbs (highest the gym had) x 8 each side
Med ball 5kg jumping slamballs x 12

3 sets of the following

SA snatch x 6 each side with 50lb DB
Y,T, Arrow - 5/10lb x 10
Speed skater jumps with med ball x 10 each side

Jogged a light mile warm-up and cycled for 5 miles on an upright spinning bike and started to feel normal again. My cough is still present and the doctors are telling me that I'll still need at least 2 months more to let the lung heal before I can start really cranking my paces. Nonetheless, I'm optimistic and hopeful that I can continue to heal and not catch any of these simple colds that come into the gym that would easily develop into pneumonia for me. A few more weeks to get into the clearing... In the meantime, I'm going to try and find my mojo...

No comments:

Post a Comment