Sunday, April 22, 2012

Unlearn What You Have Learned

Jedi lesson #1 - "You must unlearn what you have learned."

I raced for the first time since the 10 miler in the forrest back in the winter and it felt very very different. Not only have I fully converted to a mid to forefoot strike, my lungs are starting to get back to full strength. Roger and I went out together for the Tarheel 4+ Miler that was run just after the flagship 10 Miler race which drew a massive crowd. Our Olympic Trial Champion, Meb Keflezighi, was present for the gun start. He is our oldest Olympic Trial Champ at 36 and will be 37 when he dons the Stars & Stripes in London... a legend already.

I decided to start the race with Roger and help him learn pacing on this early season race. We were able to keep a respectable 7:40 pace for the first 2 miles but he needed to stop twice to clear his stomach and I waited the first time but he waived me forward at about 2.25 into the race. At this point, I decided to push a little to get to the long Laurel Hill climb. I have never been up this road before but am planning on making this a regular stop with the team come summer time. A great climb that brought my HR to 190 before I leveled off and turned on the boosters to finish strong. I closed with a 29:05 chip time and that was somehow good enough to take 1st place in my age group - weak field since the real runners were in the 10 miler.

My calves were on fire from all the ups and downs and the new mid to forefoot strike with the 4mm drop Kinvara 3's from Saucony. The evidence is overwhelming that this is the best method to run and it will continue to take some will power to prevent myself from heel striking.

After the race, Roger and I and his daughter, Megan, went out for a quick recovery run that ended right at Ye Olde Waffle Shop on Franklin St. in Chapel Hill. I, of course, had to get some post-race grub and polished off a full plate of waffles, blueberries, eggs, and bacon. Deliciousness!

Planned on getting in a nice ride and run brick of the Beaverdam course but we were sidelined today with constant rain... plugging on with a new week and will continue to tweak the foot strike to make it a more natural motion.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the age group win...machine building back up ahead of schedule as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your back at it! Wish I could have been in town to watch the race. Great job!

    ReplyDelete