Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas' Plural

We are in Christmas number 2 right now with Carrie's parents in town and the kids are loving the 2nd round of gift opening. Last week, I had time off and we went up to Beech Mountain for a few days with the kids. We were hoping to have some fun in the snow, but at 5000ft elevation, all we got was a little rain and 60 degree days. One of the days, it was so warm when I went for a long run, that I was tempted to take off my shirt because I was sweating so profusely... nonetheless... We had a great time in the cabin, aptly named "Peace of Heaven" and we did some nice hiking at Grandfather Mountain. Once I load the photos, I'll link them through my Picasa Albums and Google+ account.

On the way back from the mountains, we stopped in Winston and I got to see my dear friend Andrea for the second time in a few weeks and got to see an already growing Ezra James.. what a joy! Kenny and I enjoyed several good grafts of Craggie's Antebellum Ale and stayed for a nice dinner. Wish they lived a little closer and hopeful that they just might end up in Durham...

Zimm and I were joined by Charlie for the traditional and epic Beowulf workout that we nailed down on Christmas Eve. Charlie's first attempt was a respectable sub 40 min effort as Zimm and I watched him lead out on The Grid. I hung on dear life bringing up the rear and was just happy to survive another day. Charlie was surprised at how tired I was at the end as I lay slumped in the rowing machine. Zimm broke my record of last year, but then I had to break his "new" record and went 32 mins. Exhausted and tired I barely made it back home for Eve service at All Saints.

We woke up in our own house for Christmas morning. We have been able to do this for the past 3 Christmas' but usually are headed out on the road or flying that day to see family so it was nice to just relax for a change. Braden and Eli loved opening their gifts and were so excited to share Face Time on Carrie's iPhone with their grandparents. Braden's favorite gift was his Spider-Man action figure and Eli's was the food. They both loved their new books and matching 993 New Balance shoes (which are AWESOME of course! haha).

I had to return to work this past Tuesday and Carrie's parents have started to help put together the complicated fort and swingset. With all the grandparents coming over and around the next several days we may just have the set up and done by the time the last one leaves.

As for training, it has sort of taking a back seat for now. I haven't swam in over 2 weeks and biked sporadically. I have managed a couple sessions of weights but have stayed on top of the running and am looking forward to trying to better my Tobacco Road half marathon time. My training is not quite the intensity that I'd like, but I have a lot on my plate and am preparing for a giant step forward for ActivEdge in 2012. I have the long tempo run tomorrow and will hopefully be joined by my old friend, Ted Reedy - lunch to follow... maybe Nana's Tacos? Friday looks to get me back on the bike on the trainer (assuming that the garage has been cleared from all the playset set-up). If not, weights with David Hey over lunch looks to be extremely intense (everything is with him haha). Liking the no direction randomness for now. Blood tests tomorrow to start off the Engine 2 Diet which starts on Monday, January 2nd.

Thanks for hanging with me over the Holidays and look for some great workouts to be posted starting January 2nd!

No comments:

Post a Comment