Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I'm Back, Baby!!

Ok, well, maybe it's not that exciting but after taking nearly a year off blogging and chronicling the training and happenings in my life, I've decided to jump back on and at least get in one post a week (start with small steps).

The tone of the blog may shift from one that was training dominated to one that will mix family life with training... I'll still try and post most of my workouts and you can keep up with my alias, Kyle Katarn, at Strava for volume loads and ideas. ActivEdge has a new website, TrainerThrowdown.com, that is going to post a monthly challenge starting in July - some by me, some by other trainers.

Nowadays, I get most of my training done in classes that I teach, or workouts midday over lunch. Every once in awhile, if the opportunity presents itself, I'll get a 1-2 hour bike in while the kids nap on Sunday or early Saturday morning. Every Saturday is date night with Caroline (either getting a babysitter and going out or experimental cooking at home after the kids go down) and the rest of the weekend is dedicated to what the kids want to do (go to parks, the science museum, ball games, etc.).

While not an excuse, the last year has been extremely busy with opening a new location and trying to grow the physical therapy end of our practice. It has been life changing as I step back and take a look at what is really important to me and where I want to spend my time (both free time and work time). I've decided to cut back on the amount of training I was doing and have enjoyed my workouts even more! I have included the kids and Caroline in the workouts and have freed up my weekends to enjoy the little things that kids do as they grow. What a relief!! Not only is training for a half Ironman selfish, it sucks my time from the things that are quickly disappearing. It only took me a few years to realize this, but I'm not getting paid to race and train and I'm in plenty good enough shape when training at nearly half the volume that I have done the previous 2 years. Will I be able to race a half Ironman well? No. But I can do any distance less than Olympic and be competitive, balance work, and have the weekends off to be with the kids... This, is my older, more experienced mind finally kicking in heading towards 40, and is well worth the trade off.

So, needless to say, I'm back, baby! And ready to rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment